Thursday 12 September 2013

Review: The Sea Sisters


Author: Lucy Clarke
Publisher: Harper
Release Date: 9th May 2013
Pages: 400
Genre: Contemporary, Mystery

Synopsis
Two sisters, one life-changing journey…

There are some currents in the relationship between sisters that run so dark and so deep, it’s better for the people swimming on the surface never to know what’s beneath . . .

Katie’s carefully structured world is shattered by the news that her headstrong younger sister, Mia, has been found dead in Bali – and the police claim it was suicide.

With only the entries of Mia’s travel journal as her guide, Katie retraces the last few months of her sister’s life, and – page by page, country by country – begins to uncover the mystery surrounding her death.

What she discovers changes everything. But will her search for the truth push their sisterly bond – and Katie – to breaking point?

Review
When I picked this book up from my local library, I did not know what to expect. I had heard very good things so I was expecting something great but I don't think I realised what a fantastic story I had fallen upon at the time.

Katie is devastated when her sister Mia is found dead in Bali, and to make things worse the police claim it was suicide. Now everything Katie believed she knew about her sister is thrown into question - had life become so bad for Mia that she felt she had to commit suicide? Katie decides to leave her carefully planned life behind and go searching for answers. Following Mia's travel journal, Katie travels to some of the most beautiful places in the world. But what murky mysteries lie in wait for Katie as she traces through the last few months of Mia's life?

This book literally blew me away. Lucy Clarke truly amazed me with her depth and understanding of family relationships. Katie is the responsible sister, she is sensible, thoughtful and never dives head first into anything without a plan. Mia is a risk-taker, she goes wherever the wind takes her and seizes any opportunity thrown her way - she is a free spirit at heart. Katie and Mia may seem like polar opposites but Lucy Clarke gradually reveals their true feelings and brings some clarity to the complex relationship that Katie and Mia have.

Not only do we follow Katie's journey in this story but Mia's travels are also recounted. The narrative flowed seamlessly between Mia and Katie in a way that made the story extra special. I really enjoyed taking a tour of all the locations Lucy Clarke took me to. Her descriptions were colourful and vivid, she painted the picture of each specific place fantastically. Each place had its' own specific vibe, and Lucy caught these vibes with such authenticity I felt I was there following my own journey.

Lucy Clarke sent me on an emotional roller coaster that both broke my heart and warmed my soul. It will be a journey I will never forget. If this book teaches you anything it is that you should confront your emotions and always listen to your heart. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to be taken on an emotional and fulfilling ride in the comfort of your own home.

5/5 Stars

My Song Choice: Hey, Soul Sister by Train

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...