Wednesday 12 June 2013

Review: The Longest Holiday


The Longest Holiday

The Longest Holiday by Paige Toon
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: 25/04/13
Pages: 416
Genre: Chick-Lit, Romance

Synopsis
He's smiling down at me with tears in his eyes as I say my solemn vow:
'I, Laura, take thee, Matthew, to be my lawful wedded husband…' I thought I would never feel like this about anyone ever again. Not after my first love… Not after the heartbreak and the loss and the trying to pick myself back up again… Then I met Matthew, and I know that he has my heart forever: my perfect, gorgeous, adoring Matthew. And then I wake up. And I remember that he's not perfect. He's so far from perfect that my heart could surely collapse from the pain that instantly engulfs me…

To say Laura is unlucky in love is an understatement. Her first boyfriend died in a horrific accident, and now she's just discovered that her husband of six months has been hiding a terrible secret. Devastated and unwilling to face reality, she escapes on a girls' holiday to Key West with her best friend Marty. But a deep and instant attraction to a sexy Cuban scuba diver takes her completely by surprise. When her two weeks in the sun come to an end, Laura doesn't want to go home again. But she can't run from real life forever. Can she?


Review
This is the first book I have read by Paige Toon and she did not disappoint! I must admit I am ashamed I have not read some of her books before. 'The Longest Holiday' was the perfect book to distract me from the exam revision I had to endure and allowed me to escape into the world of Laura!

Laura has not had the best luck when it comes to relationships. Her first boyfriend Will died in a car accident and she wondered if she was ever meant to find someone to spend the rest of her life with. This was until she met Matthew. Matthew was the most perfect guy and they enjoyed 6 months of wedded bliss until he dropped a bombshell which threatened to tear them apart for good. Laura escapes to Florida with her best friend Marty and her friend Bridget, hoping to get some space and peace of mind. In Florida Laura meets the gorgeous Leo who's presence quickly forces her to make some tough decisions about her life and whether she is ready to go home and face the music.

I really liked Laura. Even though her personal life was in shambles she didn't dwell on it for too long, I was so happy when she got herself out there! I also wished that I had a friend like Bridget. Every girl wants their best friend to pick them up after a bad relationship and whisk them away on holiday! Bridget was very supportive of Laura but also gave her a kick up the bum when she needed to stop being so miserable. I wasn't so keen on Marty at first, I didn't find her a very supportive friend and she seemed quite selfish. However I found as the book went on I liked her more and more. In the end, it appeared she had a very good insight on what was best for Laura and she was an amazing friend. I can 100% see why Laura fell for Leo. Even I was swooning! Leo was so genuine and wasn't one for playing games. He was very reserved but as the book develops you discover why he is the way he is. 

This is a fantastic summer read, I have never been more desperate to visit Miami and Key West. Paige Toon has such a knack for setting a scene. I felt like I was right there with the girls, enjoying a cocktail in the sun. I loved how unpredictable the book was, I had no idea what was going to happen next which I really enjoyed. All in all this is a great book to sweep you away for a few hours and immerse you into somebody else's world.

5/5 Stars

My Song Choice: All Summer Long - Kid Rock
Such a summery tune that sets the scene perfectly for this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...