Monday 21 October 2013

Review: Christmas Carol

Author: Michele Gorman
Publisher:
Notting Hill Press
Release Date: 15th September 2013
Pages: 101
Genre: Christmas
Source: From the publisher - Thank you!

Synopsis
One winter wedding, two happy couples, three ex-boyfriends. And a very uncomfortable weekend.

Carol hates Christmas. Being recently dumped, she’s not crazy about weddings either. So her sister Marley’s nuptials, over the Christmas weekend, are making her positively Scrooge-like. When she arrives at the stately home in rural Scotland to find her three ex-boyfriends in attendance, Carol has no choice but to face her ghosts to discover what really happened in those relationships, learning a lot about herself in the process. As the snow falls outside and the fire crackles in the hearth, might one of the wedding guests become the harbinger of Christmases to come?

Review
It may only be October but this Christmas novella has really got me in the festive mood. I have never read a book by Michele Gorman before but I will definitely be adding her backlog to my TBR pile. I was engrossed in this story from the very beginning and I did not want to put it down!

Carol is not overly pleased when her sister Marley insists on having a Christmas wedding. She has never been a big fan of Christmas and having also being dumped recently, this wedding is bound to bring up bad feelings. Proceedings are not made any better when Carol finds out 3 of her ex-boyfriends have been invited to the wedding. This gives Carol a choice: should she embrace the Christmas celebrations and face up to her past or hide away and suppress all her feelings?

I loved the storyline in this book. It was pacey and interesting and I was always wanting to know what would happen next. The link with A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens added an extra level to the story. I enjoyed the juxtaposition between Carol's story and Scrooge's story, they had a lot in common! Both hated Christmas time, both had pushed everyone away that they should have held close, they both needed to learn a lesson! The setting of snowy Scotland was magical! I felt like I was transported to a completely different world. I could imagine the snow falling and the coldness of the snowflakes melting on my skin.

I loved Carol. I know she was having trouble facing up to her past but she made me laugh so much! She had such a sarcastic sense of humour which I could completely understand, being rather sarcastic myself. I was really rooting for her to face up to her past mistakes, she was so set on thinking her ex-boyfriends had made all the mistakes, she'd never taken the time to sit and look at herself and the problems she had created. I also loved all the secondary characters in this story. The ex-boyfriends were actually nice people who enjoyed reading about and Carol's sister Marley was so happy it was just infectious.

Michele Gorman created a story that looked at relationships in a new and refreshing way. I was able to objectively look at Carol's life and look at all the different reasons relationships can go wrong and learn some important lessons along the way. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I am looking forward to reading more books by Michele Gorman!

5/5 Stars 

My Song Choice: Let it Snow by Michael Bublé

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...