Tuesday 29 April 2014

Review: Take A Look At Me Now

Author: Miranda Dickinson
Publisher: Avon
Release Date: 24th October 2013
Pages: 401
Genre: Chick-Lit

Synopsis
How far would you go to make a new start?

When Nell’s on-off boyfriend Aidan calls her into his office, losing her job is the last thing she expects.

Heartbroken and unemployed to boot, she makes a radical decision to blow her redundancy cheque and escape to the untested waters of San Francisco.

But is the glamour of the city too good to be true? And can Nell leave her past behind?



Review
This is my first Miranda Dickinson novel and it certainly will not be my last - what a fabulous read! I am ashamed that I haven't read her books before.

When Nell walks into her office she has no idea it will be for the last time. Nell is left shocked when her on-off boyfriend Aidan tells her she's being made redundant and sends her on her way. Nell takes her broken heart and redundancy pay straight to a travel agency and books herself an 8 week trip to San Francisco. Will living in a brand new city with her cousin Lizzie heal her scars and allow her to plan her future or will her past continue to haunt her?

To be honest I really just want to gush about how amazing this book is! Miranda drew me in from the very beginning and I could not put this book down. Miranda describes San Francisco with such realistic detail - I could see Nell's view of the Golden Gate Bridge, I was there as Nell and Lizzie wandered round the Haight-Ashbury neighbourhood. In fact, I am so enthralled by this book San Francisco has moved to the top of my bucket list!

Nell is such an amazing character. She is strong-willed and brave to visit San Francisco - a place she has never visited before. She meets some fabulous people on her journey, including the tough cookie Annie and the drop-dead gorgeous Max. I was left drooling when reading about the mouth-watering food Annie serves up in her diner. I loved learning about the mysterious Max who appeared to have many secrets - this added extra suspense to the book.

The kids at the school where Nell volunteers were complete sweethearts. Seeing San Francisco through a child's eyes is brilliant. I have a major soft spot for Eva, a little girl with a love of Mary Poppins and a humongous heart.

Miranda has written a heart-warming, romantic, emotionally driven book that will stay with me for a very long time. It is a book that has encouraged me to follow my dreams, to get out there and do something new and to most of all appreciate the help of people around me.

5/5 Stars

My Song Choice: Always Where I Need To Be by The Kooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...